Rescue Squad 3 is the heavy rescue apparatus assigned to Firehouse 51. Equipped with specialized tools for heavy rescue, it responds to all working fires and calls requiring technical rescue. Squad is staffed by 4-5 firefighters.
Rescue Squad 3 was originally a 1989 Spartan Gladiator / Saulsbury heavy rescue truck bearing the traditional black-over-red paint scheme of the Chicago Fire Department. Prior to being used on the show, it was in service until 2003 as Unit 5-1-1 of the real life Hazardous Incident Team (HIT), which is the Chicago Fire Department's hazardous materials response team. Later on during Seasons 1 and 2, they occasionally switched between the original squad truck and an HME heavy rescue. Finally during mid-Season 2, the show received a 1989 Spartan Gladiator / 3D-Metals heavy rescue truck from the Antioch (IL) Fire Department and had it repainted for the show. The Antioch rig has been used ever since.
Current Members Edit
Officer - Lt. Kelly Severide Edit
Previous Members Edit
- Jose Vargas - Inhaled toxic fumes during a fire and was placed on long term disability.
- Kevin Hadley - Kicked out for racism towards Peter Mills, later became an arsonist for revenge-now in prison.
- Jeff Clarke - Replacement for Hadley, promoted to Lieutenant and transferred to Firehouse 25.
- Peter Mills - Suffered from BPPV in Season 3 and was not cleared for firefighter duty, he was then transferred to Ambulance 61, and then back to Squad 3 after he was cleared. Currently runs a restaurant in North Carolina.
- Rick Newhouse - Replacement for Clarke, went on vacation to San Diego and transferred out.
- Scott Rice - Replacement for Newhouse, was then fired for bailing out during a structure fire.
- Dallas Patterson (Captain) - Temporarily served as replacement for Severide, promoted to Battalion Chief and transferred to Firehouse 90.